Mr. Electric® of St. John's Stresses Electrical Safety After Startling Find

(ST. JOHN’S, NL – March 24, 2008) Area electrician Gary Ryan went out on what he thought was a routine service call earlier this year. What he came back with was an oddly-burnt pencil, a grateful customer and an electrical safety lesson to be heeded by all.

“We were called by a customer who said the wall heater thermostat was jammed in the ‘on’ position full time,” said Ryan, an electrician with Mr. Electric of St. John’s. “Fixing this problem was fairly easy. However, when the homeowner mentioned a peculiar burning odor coming from the unit in her child’s and I noticed it, too, the story got a little more interesting.”

After opening the wall heater, Ryan found the culprit: an ordinary pencil. However, it had been dropped into the heater and was resting against the heating coils. With the heater switched to “on” constantly, a slow burn was occurring and posed a definite hazard to life and property, had it not been caught in time.

“After giving it time to cool down, the homeowner and I examined the pencil,” Ryan added. “It was scorched at regular intervals from its contact with the heater, much like marks on a grill-cooked steak. Given the continual exposure to high heat, it may have been just a matter of time before the pencil ignited inside the heater, posing a serious fire danger.”

Luckily, Ryan was able to fix the thermostat, extract the pencil and avert potential disaster. However, had the call not been made sooner, a different, bleaker outcome could have occurred.

“It just pays to be safe,” Ryan concluded. “When working with components like fire and electricity, it’s best to call in a qualified electrician. Mr. Electric of St. John’s was happy to repair the customer’s heating problem and prevent what could have been a very dangerous situation from developing.”

Mr. Electric of St. John’s offers residential and commercial full service repair, replacement and upgrades as well as security and landscape lighting, high-tech troubleshooting, emergency generators, surge protection, home safety check-ups and a members-only Advantage PlanTM featuring priority scheduling, preferential pricing and a variety of other consumer-friendly perks.

Mr. Electric of St. John’s may be reached at (709) 237-WIRE or mrelectric.com.

###

About Mr. Electric®:
Established in 1994, Mr. Electric is a global franchise organization providing electrical installation and repair services. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its “Franchise 500,” Mr. Electric franchisees provide these services to both residential and commercial customers at over 200 locations worldwide. Mr. Electric is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit www.mrelectric.com.