Indoor and Outdoor Holiday Light Safety

Mr. Electric has home and light safety tips for the holidays

 

WACO, Texas (Dec. 4, 2014) – – It might be the most wonderful time of the year, but it can also be a dangerous time for house fires and electrocution. With so many trees and holiday lights filling homes and downtowns, everyone needs to be prepared with holiday safety tips. Mr. Electric has tips to keep homeowners safe when decorating this holiday season.

 

Indoor holiday lighting

It is important to inspect all lights for damage before use. Remember, overuse of one outlet can lead to fires and power outages. All lights and decorations should be turned off before leaving the house or going to bed. Christmas trees can be a fire hazard. Only place lights on trees that are plush and green. Real trees should be thrown away as soon as they begin to dry out. Pre-lite trees should be checked for faulty wiring and not be used if damaged.

 

Outdoor holiday lighting

A wooden or fiberglass ladder should be used for hanging decorations on the roof. Metal ladders conduct electricity and can cause electrocution. Anytime someone is on the roof, there should be another person available to call for help if necessary. When up on the roof, it is important to stay at least 10 feet away from all power lines. Only lighting specifically intended for outdoor use should be used for outdoor decorating. A tag on the lights should have the intended use. Surge protectors should be used for holiday lighting.

 

Traditional candles vs. electric

Homeowners should be extremely careful when using candles. It is important to keep any combustible material away from an open flame and to keep a close eye on nearby children. Never leave an open flame unattended. When using electric candles, unplug and turn them off when not at home.

 

Small Children and animals

Many holiday decorations and lighting can be dangerous for small children and animals. Any light cords or decorations with sharp or small parts should be placed out of their reach. Small light bulbs can easily be swallowed. All unused outlets should be covered and areas where many cords are plugged into one place should be blocked off. Small children should not be allowed to play with light cords or plug in the Christmas tree.

 

These homeowner tips from Mr. Electric will help keep families safe when decorating this holiday season.

 

For more information on holiday lighting, click here.

 

About Mr. Electric®:
Established in 1994, Mr. Electric is a global franchise organization providing electrical installation and repair services. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its “Franchise 500,” Mr. Electric franchisees provide these services to both residential and commercial customers at almost 200 locations worldwide. Mr. Electric is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc., family of service franchises. For more information or to find the location nearest you, visit MrElectric.com.

 

- ### -